The hunt is up!
January 17, 2023
January 17, 2023
1995
As an undergraduate at Bryn Mawr College, I practically lived in the Music Library. Since I found little music by women in the hymnal1982, I went to the library to hunt. With characteristic generosity, Bryn Mawr, along with Haverford College, offered extensive library support. So, back in my familiar haunt, I found songs of Hildegard of Bingen, 12th century Abbess and Saint.
The Reverend Paulette Schiff sang Hildegard's Kyrie as a solo during worship. Soon a group of volunteers gathered to sing. We loved her antiphon, Laus Trinitati or "praise to You Holy Trinity." Hildegard's feminine song of the Trinity soared in this chant affirming our quest for the feminine Divine. We were all excited to bring this ancient voice to life in the Lady Chapel. Then, bursting out of the convent, our Hildegard chants were presented to the whole church. Now all of Christendom can hear the ancient voices of women!
Church Publishing, Inc. published both pieces with my transcriptions, translations, and arrangements. Kyrie is #841 and 842 in Wonder, Love, and Praise (1997) and Laus Trinitati is #105 in Voices Found (2003). More information about both of these pieces is in The Leader's Guide to Wonder, Love, and Praise(2003) by John Hooker, and the Leaders's Guide to Voices Found (2004)by Lisa Neufeld Thomas
Comments
Post a Comment