Visions of Holy Women: Way beyond de moon!



"Way beyond de Moon" Voices Found 130

I've got a mother in de heaven, outshines the sun, 
outshines the sun, outshines the sun.
I've got a mother in de heaven, outshines the sun,
Way beyond de moon

I've got a father in de Heaven, etc

I've got a sister in de heaven, etc

When we get to heaven we will outshine de sun,
Outshine de sun, outshine de sun,
When we get to heaven we will outshine de sun,
Way beyond de moon!

 Henrietta Morgan, a member of the Voices Found hymnal committee accepted the assignment to find music addressing women of the African American Diaspora.   Morgan wrote that the  relationship between slaves and their mothers was significant. Because families were often separated early in the children's lives, slaves sang about their longing to see Mother and other family members, if not in this life, then the next.  They took comfort in the thought of uniting with  Mother and with Jesus. In this spirit, Morgan arranged and directed the performance of this spiritual, "I've got a mother in de heaven" on the album Magdalene and the other Mary.

Reflection

While this spiritual was born out of the agony and oppression of slavery, it offers comfort and spiritual nurturance for all.   It offers a vision of Heaven with brilliant light and reunion with lost loves.  How does this image offer you comfort in times of grief and loss?  

Listening 

As you listen to the singers, you might envision a reunion with your mother. father,  or child.   You might envision a transformation of yourself or your family into shining brilliance, "out shining the sun,  way beyond the moon!


Voices Found includes 6 African American spirituals that lift up women:

I hope my mother will be there #138

I've got a mother in de heaven #130

Mary and Martha's just gone 'long #44

Mary borned a baby #37

O Mary don't you weep #122

O Mary, O Martha #47


Our recording Magdalene and the Other Mary includes 4 of these:

O Mary, Don't you weep track 4

Mary bored a baby track 8

O Mary, O Martha track 14

I"ve got a Mother in de Heaven track 16


For more information and performance suggestions see my Leader's Guide to Voices Found.  

The album, Voices Found,
and the Leader's Guide are all available from Church Publishing, Inc. in New York.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64