Celebrate Julian of Norwich with Voices Found, May 8
About Saint Julian
Dame Julian of Norwich (1343-c.1416) an English anchoress and mystic, received visions, or “Shewings” combined and preserved as Revelations of Divine Love, the earliest surviving English language book written by a woman. (Julian of Norwich: A theologian for our time, The Anglican Journal, May 7, 2020, Matt Puddister, publisher).
Voices Found songs for St. Julian
All shall be well and shall be well for all eternity
Voices Found #5
1."I am he for whom you long,
the one you most desire."
With these words our courteous Lord set Julian on fire.
Refrain
In falling and in rising we are kept preciously.
All shall be well and shall be well for all eternity.
2. "I am God: See! from my works I never lift my hand."
With these words our courteous Lord revealed what he ordained.
Refrain
3. "This I say is so great bliss: that we should be his crown!"
With these words Dame Julian began to write it down.
Refrain
In The Divine Revelations Julian wrote: "I can make all things well: I will make all things well; I shall make all things well: and thou canst see for thyself that all manner of things shall be well." Rise Shamanska wrote this poetic adaptation above which Carl Haywood set to music.
Mothering God Voices
Found #71 and #72
Mothering God you gave me birth
In the bright morning of this earth.
Creator, source of every breath,
You are my rain, my wind, my sun.
Mothering Christ, you took my form,
Offering me your food of light,
Grain of life, and grape of love,
Your very body for my peace.
Mothering Spirit, nurturing one,
In arms of patience hold me close,
so that in faith I root and grow
Until I flower, until I know.
Julian wrote: Christ the Mother is entwined with the wholeness of life which includes all the sacraments, all the virtues, all the virtues of the word-made-flesh, all the goodness that holy church ordains for our benefit. The human mother can tenderly lay the child on her breast, but our tender Mother Jesus can lead us directly into his own tender breast through his sweet broken-open side. Here, he reveals a glimpse of the godhead and some of the joys of paradise with the implicit promise of eternal bliss.”
Jean Wiebe Janzen, (b. 1933) an award winning American poet and professor, wrote the poetic interpretation. Sharon Marion Hershey and Ana Hernandez wrote musical settings. Hernandez used a traditional tune O fillii et filiae that is easy to sing. Hershey crafted a melody entitled "Lady Chapel Singers" with keyboard accompaniment, and a descant creating a simple choral piece and a congregational hymn.
Meditation:
Julian's Revelation "And all shall be well," revealed that God can, will, and shall "make all manner of things well," in falling and in rising. " Have you experienced Divine healing when you were falling? When you were rising? How did Divine Love make you well?
Julian's visions revealed to her that God is both Father and Mother. How does her understanding of a Mothering God expand your experience of Christ's Love? How does the Mothering Spirit lead, guide and restore you?
Listening:
Listen to track 71 on the recording "Magdalene and the Other Mary." Do you feel the comfort of your Mothering God? Allow yourself to receive the nurturance of your Mothering Christ, and receive healing, restoration from your Mothering Spirit. Give thanks for mothering in your life.
Voices Found offers four songs to celebrate Julian:
#5 I am he for whom you long
#6 Loud are the Bells of Norwich
#71 and #72 Mothering God
https://www.churchpublishing.org/voicesfound
Hershey's setting of Mothering God, #71 is track #9 on the album Magdalene and the Other Mary
Comments
Post a Comment