Living water


The Wisdom Ring, Morikami Gardens, Delray Beach, Florida


When like the woman at the well

Voices Found #24



When like the woman at the well,

I lived with broken dreams,

Christ came to me, good news to tell, of everliving streams


Christ knew my heart, my wayward ways,

yet gave me hope, not fear.

The God I once thought far away,

I could approach, draw near.


I learned I could forever live

and worship God aright,

could trust the power the Spirit gives 

to guide me in truth's light.


Each day I lift my cup above

and once again receivthe living water of God's love

revealed for my belief.


Since now I am in grace immersed,

set free, forgiven, whole

I share with those who thirst

the wellsprings of my soul.


Words: Edith Sinclair Downing

Music: Wayne, CCW Sparks, arr. Robert  A. M. Ross


 John 4: 39-42 " Many of the Samaritans of that town believed in him because of the women's testimony, 'her told me everything I ever did.' So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days.  And because of his words many more became believers, They said to the woman,'We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and know this man really is the Savior of the world."

Eastern Orthodox tradition tells us that, later on,  the Samaritan woman was baptized by the Apostles and named Photine. She is celebrated as the the first evangelist.  According to tradition Photine and her family traveled as far as Rome to share news of Messiah.  They converted many Romans for which the Emperor Nero tried to silence her.  She refused to bow down to Roman gods so he ordered her to be tortured and executed.   Thus she is venerated as St. Photine, Martyr.

Reflection: a hymn for Photine

Kontakion (Tone 1) – 

O Almighty Saviour, Who did pour forth water for the Hebrews from a solid rock:

You did come to the Land of Samaria, and addressed a woman,

whom You did attract to faith in You,

and she has now attained life in the heavens everlastingly.

By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)



 









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64