Voices Found in Samaria






 

When like the woman at the well

Voices Found #24



When like the woman at the well,

I lived with broken dreams,

Christ came to me, good news to tell, of everliving streams


Christ knew my heart, my wayward ways,

yet gave me hope, not fear.

The God I once thought far away,

I could approach, draw near.


I learned I could forever live

and worship God aright,

could trust the power the Spirit gives 

to guide me in truth's light.


Each day I lift my cup above

and once again receive 

the living water of God's love

revealed for my belief.


Since now I am in grace immersed,

set free, forgiven, whole

I share with those who thirst

the wellsprings of my soul.


Words: Edith Sinclair Downing

Music: Wayne, CCW Sparks, arr. Robert  A. M. Ross


Ephesians 4:1-8 and John 4:7-26 are appointed for Proper 17B (closest to August 31) in the Women's Lectionary for the Whole Church


 Reflection

Jesus said to the Samaritan women at the well,"God is Spirit, and those who worship God must worship in spirit and truth."  The woman said to Jesus, "I know that Messiah is coming" (the One called Christ).

"when he comes, he will proclaim all things to us."  Jesus said to her, "I am, the one who is speaking to you," John 4:24-26

Voices Found #58

Spirit of God, you moved over the waters
whispering God's love to the whole of creation.
You breathe your life into God's sons and daughters,
giving us talents and your inspiration.

Help us to see you, still calling and caring,
help us to know you among us, creating.
Spirit of God, give us courage and daring--
to share God's love with a world that is waiting.

Words: Carolyn Winfrey Gillette 
Music: O quanta qualia, melody from Antophoner, 1681

I exhort you all, I, a prisoner for the Savior, to walk worthy of the calling to which you have been called: With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, doing your best to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Redeemer, one faith, one baptism, One God and Parent of all, who is above all and through all and in all.  Yet each of us was given grace according to the measure of the gift of the Messiah.

Ephesians 4:1-7

Meditation:

Wellspring of the healing Spirit. stream that flows to bring release.

as we gain our selves, our senses, may our lives reflect your peace.

Grateful for the flood that heals us, may your church enact your grace. 

As we meet both friend and stranger, may we see our Savior's face.

Words: Ruth  C. Duck

Music: Beach Spring, from The Sacred Harp

Voices Found # 96, vs 2

Mothering God, Wellspring of Life, give us your Living Waters of love and peace; let us sing and pray together in unity.

 



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64