Voices Found: Sing of Hannah, brave and bold
Rejoice for Women Brave
Voices Found: #18
Rejoice for women brave,
who laughed and cried and sang,
who listened to angels, believed their God,
from them salvation sprang.
Refrain:
Lift up your heart, lift up your voice, rejoice,
again, I say rejoice.
Rejoice again, I say rejoice.
Rejoice for Sarah's mirth;
she listened laughingly.
In joy she brought forth a new nation,
saying all will laugh with me.
Refrain
Rejoice for Hannah, bold;
she loudly made her plea.
Then God heard her prayer
and she, exultant, sang of victory.
Refrain
Your gracious love divine,
like Miriam we proclaim.
May we now rejoice
and with Mary magnify your holy name.
Refrain
Lift up your heart, lift up your voice, rejoice,
again, I say rejoice.
Rejoice again, I say rejoice.
Words: Lisa Neufeld Thomas
Music: Mayfair, Frances McCollin (1892-1960)
1 Samuel 1:1-6, 9-18 and 1 Thessalonians 2:9-12 are appointed for Proper 19B in The women's Lectionary for the Whole Church
I am Hannah, a woman bereft, an arid field, an empty well. My hopes for the future remain as yet unborn, my abundant love, unmilked. To those around me, I appear as one mute, my words reduced to whispers and sighs. Watching my lips move, hearing no sound, it would seem that I give myself over to despair or madness. But the truth is quite otherwise: with a full heart, I offer up my barrenness to God, pledging the first fruit of my womb if my prayers are answered. For I understand better than the mother of ten sons, that our children are not ours to keep, but only ours to give. I am Hannah. I pray from my heart, and my heart’s song is heard.
"Hannah's Prayer,"narrated text by Ellen Frankel from the oratorio Women of Valor by Andrea Clearfield
Then Eli (Hannah's priest) said, "Go in peace; the God of Israel grant the petition you have made to God." ...Then the woman went on her way to her quarters, ate and drank with her husband, and her countenance was sad no longer. 1 Samuel 1:17, 18 (tr. Gafney)
Voices Found #108
To God be the glory, great things he has done!
So loved he the world that he gave us his son,
who yielded his life an atonement for sin
and opened the life gate that all may go in.
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear his voice!
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father, through Jesus the son,
and give him the glory! Great things he has done!
Words: FANNY CROSBY (1820-1915)
Music: W. H. Doane (1832-1916)
You all remember, sisters and brothers, our labor and our toil...we dealt with each one of you like a parent with children, urging and encouraging you and pleading that you lead a life worthy of God, who calls you into God's own realm and glory.
1Thessalonians 2:9, 11-12 tr. Gafney
Meditation:
Voices Found #120 (The Women's Prayer)
O God we praise your holy name,
as one in Christ we stand.
You've made us sisters through your son
with kin in every land.
Anoint us now with your own grace
that we might ready be
to touch the world with gentleness
as through Christ's eyes we see.
Oh God, in joy we lift our song,
your words we will proclaim,
until the love we share today
throughout the world shall reign.
Words and Music: Kay G. Snodgrass and Bobbilyn George Mitchell
arr. Carl Haywood
Winner of the Episcopal Church Women's hymn competition ca. 1980
Comments
Post a Comment