I am the God that healeth thee: Mothering God
Voices Found # 72
Mothering God you gave me birth
In the bright morning of this earth.
Creator, source of every breath,
You are my rain, my wind, my sun.
Mothering Christ, you took my form,
offering me your food of light, grain of life,
and grape of love, your very body for my peace.
Mothering spirit, nurturing one,
in arms of patience hold me close, to that in faith,
I root and grow until I flower, until I know.
Words: Jean Wiebe Janzen after Julian of Norwich (ca1342-ca.1416)
Psalm 144:3-4 and Mark9:14-29 are appointed in the Women's Lectionary for the Whole Church, Proper21B
Womb of Life, what is humanity that you even know them,
or the woman-born that you think of them?
Humanity is like a breath:
whose days are like a passing shadow.
Psalm144:3-4 ( tr. Gafney)
Reflection
Just as God is our Father, so God is also our Mother. And He showed me this truth in all things, but especially in those sweet words when He says: "It is I."
St. Julian of Norwich, from Revelations of Divine Love
Desperate parents asked Jesus to heal a child who suffered life threatening convulsions. They thought he was dead. Yet Jesus took the child by the hand and lifted the child up, and the child was able to stand. When Jesus had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, "Why were we not able to cast it out?" He said to them, "This kind can come by nothing but prayer[and fasting]."
Matthew 9:27-29, tr. Gafney
Meditation:
Voices Found #92
I am the God that healeth thee.
I am the God that healeth thee.
In thee O God I put my trust
In thee O God I put my trust
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.
Words and Music: Ana Hernandez
Ana Hernandez writes that she originally intended her chant as a breathing exercise to make one more receptive to God. You can pray her prayer with or without the melody, as you meditate, breathing deeply. It works well with yoga practice.
Deep breath in: I am the God that health thee
Deep breath out: I am the God that health thee
Deep breath in: In Thee O God I put my trust
Deep breath out In Thee O God I put my trust
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out:Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out:Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out: Be still and know that I am God...
there is no end, you may repeat as long as forever...
For a small group or congregation, there are many singing possibilities. Hernandez offers a congregational meditation, perhaps sung within the liturgy, or between readings. Her chant is also a powerful healing experience for gathering at the beginning of a healing service, conference, or workshop. Please see the Leader's Guide to Voices Found for musical suggestions in leading groups of singers and/or instruments.


Comments
Post a Comment