Fear not! Gabriel's Advent Voice
Be still and know that I am God
Psalm 46:10 tr. Gafney
Voices Found #92 (Music by Ana Hernandez)
Advent I C
Zechariah 8:1-13, Psalm 46, 1John 4:13-21, and Luke 1:5-19 are appointed in the Women's Lectionary for the Whole Church.
And it will be that just as you have been cursing among yourselves, the house of Judah and the house of Israel, so it will be that when I save you all, you shall be a blessing. Fear not; strengthen your hands.
Zechariah 8:13, tr. Gafney
There is no fear in love, rather perfect love casts out fear, for fear relates to punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because God first loved us. 1 John:18-19, tr. Gafney
Love astounding, love confounding
limits fearful minds impose.
Love renewing, love pursuing
every heart until it knows
love's transforming, healing goodness,
love's abiding gentle grace,
love's endurance, love's assurance,
love's consoling strong embrace.
Voices Found #143
Words: Jeannette M. Lindhome
Music: Holy Manna, from the Southern Harmony
There appeared to Zechariah a messenger of the Living God, standing to the right of the alter of incense. Now Zechariah was shaken when he saw the messenger and fear overwhelmed him. But the messenger said to him, "Fear not, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife, Elizabeth will give birth to a son for you, and you will call his name John. Luke 1:11-14, tr. Gafney
Reflection:
Fear not! It is a command. God's messenger knows that even good news is frightening. Even good news means change. Zechariah feared God's news. Is it true? Am I too old to care for a child? Will Elizabeth be safe? What will the people think of us?
Advent brings good news and also change. To adapt to change we have to let go of fear so we can learn new ways. What fears do you need to let go this Advent? Ask Mothering God to show you how to let it go.
Meditation
John, the Apostle, tells us that love casts out fear. One way we may cast out fear is by sharing God's love. How can you show love to family, friend, or neighbor today to help ease anxiety and fear?
Prayer:
Mothering God, thank you for your astounding love.
Show me how to share your love with my neighbor today.
Show me how to ease someone's fear.
Help me share love's consoling, strong embrace.
Breathing prayer:
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God...
Deep breath out: In thee O God I put my trust...
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God...
Deep breath out: In thee O God I put my trust
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God...
Deep breath out: In thee O God I put my trust
In thee O God I put my trust...


Comments
Post a Comment