Joseph's Advent Voice
Joseph in your darkest night, angel message hearing,
you cast not your love aside, scorn and anger fearing.
When a loved one brings us grief, rips our world asunder,
dreamer, may we have your heart, open to God's wonder.
Words: Carol Goodwin King
Music: Tempus adest floridum, Piae Cantiones, 158
Dear Joseph,
How I miss you, my love! I am safe at Zechariah's house after my journey through the hills.
Elizabeth needs me here to help prepare for their baby, especially with Zach unable to speak. I do some of the cooking and together we spin and weave, making simple swaddling clothes for miraculous births.
I was thrilled to see Elizabeth with child and to feel her baby leap in the womb. I sang to them. My little one was active in me, too; I think the boys they greeted each other. We are having a wonderful time together.
However, I look forward to coming home to you. We have a lot to do. We need to prepare for our journey to Bethlehem. Have you planned the trip?Do we have a donkey? a place to stay? You are such a good man to continue to care for me in my holy if disreputable condition. I know you will be a wonderful father to this holy child. So...
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in you, O God my savior,
for you have looked with favor on your lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me, and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you from generation to generation.
You have shown the strength of your arm
and have scattered the proud in their conceit,
Casting down the mighty from their thrones and lifting up the lowly.
You have filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Isreal,
for you have remembered your promise of mercy,
The promise you made to our forebears, to Abraham and his children forever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
With great love,
Your Mary
Voices Found # 152
Words: the Song of Mary, Enriching our worship 1, 1998 The Church Pension fund
Music: Melody from Antiphon 17 (Laus Trinitati) by Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) adapted by Lisa Neufeld Thomas
Meditation:
Joseph offers a model of selfless, unconditional love. He heeded the voice of the Messenger and continued to love and care for Mary in spite of great difficulty. We have all had experience of a loved one bringing unwelcome, upsetting news. As we try to embrace her, we can look to Joseph's unwavering faith for help. Mary needed Joseph to keep faith in her and the unborn Saviour. As we embrace challenges, we can pray for God's help to open our souls:
Dreamer, may we have your heart, open to God's wonder!


Comments
Post a Comment