Voices Found: WLWC Transfiguration Year C, RCL Proper 28A; VF 17, 92 Arise Devorah!
Voices Found # 17
Refrain:
Arise, arise Devorah, arise, arise
and sing a song.
Arise, arise Devorah
Ubri, uri, dab'ri shir.
Devorah the prophet was a judge in Israel.
She sat beneath her palm tree on the hill,
and people came from everywhere
just to hear her judgements, honest and fair,
Devorah, the prophet,
Devorah, a mother in Israel.
Arise, arise Devorah, arise, arise
and sing a song.
Arise, arise Devorah
Ubri, uri, dab'ri shir.
Devorah, the prophet was courageous, strong, and wise.
Her people lived in peace for forty years.
The twelve tribes lived together as one,
for the first time since the world had begun.
Devorah, the prophet,
Devorah, a mother in Israel.
Arise, arise Devorah, arise, arise
and sing a song.
Arise, arise Devorah
Ubri, uri, dab'ri shir.
Devorah, the prophet, a woman of fire her torch in hand.
She led the Israelites to victory.
Barack said "D'vorah, I cannot fight
unless you are standing right by my side."
Devorah, the prophet,
Devorah, a mother in Israel.
Arise, arise Devorah, arise, arise
and sing a song.
Arise, arise Devorah
Ubri, uri, dab'ri shir.
Words: Deborah Lynn Friedman (1951-2011) and Tamara Ruth Cohen
Music: Deborah Lynn Friedman
As the Voices found hymnal committee searched for songs by and for women to sing in Christian worship, we found affirmation and courage in the creativity and spirit of our Jewish sisters. The Voices Found committee is proud to offer two of Friedman's songs that celebrate women leaders in the Hebrew Scriptures. Friedman was an early pioneer for gender-sensitive language, unafraid to use feminine forms of the Divine or alter masculine-only text references years before the liberal streams deemed it acceptable. She died tragically in 2011 but her co-author, Tamara R. Cohen, continues to lead a Jewish educational program, "Moving Traditions," in Philadelphia, Pa.
"Arise Devorah" is based Judges 4:5-10 (RCL 28A) which is appointed along with Psalm 46 in the Women's Lectionary for the Whole Church for Transfiguration in Year C and for the Revised Common LectionaryProper 28A.
Now, Deborah sat [as a judge] under the Palm of Devorah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim and the women and men of Israel came up to her for judgement. (Judges 4:5)
A woman of courage and power, Deborah judged the Israelites with fairness and honesty and she maintained peace among the tribes as a mother in Israel. Like Miriam, she was a prophet. With power and courage she commanded the fearful Barack to join with her to lead the Israelites to victory on Mt. Tabor, defeating King Jabin of Canaan. Deborah enforced the law of Moses, demanding that her people follow and obey the commandments of the Warrior Protectrix, the God of Rebekah's line.
Reflection:
Psalm 46
She makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
she breaks the bow, shatters the spear,
she burns chariots with fire.
"Be still and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth."
The Warrior Protectrix is with us;
a stronghold for us is the God of Rebekah's line.
Psalm 46:10-11, tr. Gafney
Meditation:
Voices Found #92
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.
Words and Music: Ana Hernandez
A breathing prayer
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out:Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out:Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath in: Be still and know that I am God
Deep breath out: Be still and know that I am God...
there is no end, you may repeat as long as forever...


Comments
Post a Comment