Voices Found: Faith of our mothers, 17th Sunday after Pentecost, October 5, VF 136

 

            
 
                                             from a card created  by Florence Havergal

2 Timothy 1:1-7


1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

2 To Timothy, my beloved child:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

3 I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. 5I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. 6For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; 7for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.

Voices Found #136

Mothers call upon the Maker,
who will nurture and provide.
Cling to God, just as our children 
seek protection at our side.
For the Lord is like a mother; 
God gave all the world its birth
Mothers, praise the great Creator 
everywhere, throughout the earth.

Words: Jane Hawes
Music: Rustington, Charles Herbert Hastings Parry (1848-1918)

In 1996 Jane Hawes wrote "Mothers call upon the Maker," for a hymn festival at Bonhomme  Presbyterian church in Missouri.  During the festival the men were to sing "Rise up, O men of God,"so Hawes thought it appropriate to provide a hymn for the women to sing as well.  At that time no feminine texts could be found so she wrote this one.  Her words reflect St. Paul's Epistle for the day, emphasizing  the importance of our mothers in teaching love and self-discipline to our children, nurturing a sincere and living faith.  


Voices Found #98, verse 3

O teach me Lord, that I may teach
the precious things thou dost impart;
and wing my words,
that they may reach 
the hidden depths of many a heart.

Words: Frances R. Havergal (1836-1879)

Music: Canonbury, adapt.Robert A. Schuman (1810-1856)

Frances R. Havergal

Havergal was an English poet  who composed hymns especially for children. The harp, as shown here,  was her emblem.   


 She described one of her books as a "work to teach Tonic Sol-fa music to teenaged girls as a means to reach them with the gospel of Christ, bringing them within hearing distance of loving and sympathizing words, and of the One name which is sweeter than any music." 

The Havergal Trust https://www.havergaltrust.com/about-f-r-h/


More Songs of our Mothers:

VF 9 North Africa's mothers gave rise to the faith
VF 10 O Monica, blest mother
VF 11 Salamu Maria
VF 18 Rejoice for women brave
VF 130 I've got a mother in de heaven
VF 138 I hope my mother will be there

For more information and performance suggestions please see:


                                                                        




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64