Voices Found: Voices Found for Lent, VF 92, a meditation in chant


                                                                                        


   

Voices Found #92

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still and know that I am God.


In thee O God I put my trust 

In thee O God I put my trust 


I am the God that healeth thee.

I am the God that healeth thee.

Words and Music: Ana Hernandez



"Be still and know" is a meditation that welcomes God into our hearts.  It is  a  personal contemplative  prayer, which is  even more powerful chanted as a group in the style of Taize.  A calming and centering meditation, it can serve as a centerpiece for a Lenten retreat. 

Ana Hernandez offered  her chant originally as a breathing exercise to make us more receptive to God. She writes that  you sing each four-bar phrase on one breath and  allow plenty of time for repetition of the words  to allow them to blossom.  There are more detailed suggestions in The Leader's Guide to Voices Found.

Although few Sunday liturgies allow  time for meditation, during Lent it would be appropriate for many communities to encourage quiet chant.  "Be still and know" could be placed between the two readings to encourage contemplation of the Word.  It is also a powerful opening hymn for  healing services or workshops.

https://www.churchpublishing.org/products/voicesfound2

For background and performance suggestions please see The Leader's Guide to Voices Found



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64