Voices Found for nurses August 12, Florence Nightingale, VF 66


                            Lady with the lamp, Patient Voices, British Columbia, Canada


Voices Found: 66

Rejoice for Florence, nurse

A daughter of your love

a woman who tended your children

bringing comfort from above.


Refrain:

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice,

rejoice again I say rejoice 

Rejoice again , I say rejoice!


Rejoice for charity, 

rejoice for servanthood.

Rejoice for those who show us 

how to love and work for good.

Refrain:

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice,

rejoice again I say rejoice 

Rejoice again , I say rejoice!


Words: Lisa Neufeld Thomas

Music: Mayfair, Frances McCollin (1892-1960)


Now you can sing for nurses! When I looked for a hymn to celebrate Florence Nightingale  I found nothing.  Both a women's group and  the a men's group at St. Mark's Locust St, Philadelphia, wanted a song to remember Nurse Florence.  To honor Florence and and a Philadelphia composer, I used music by  Frances McCollin that I found at the Free Library.   McCollin, blind from birth,  was a prolific composer, encouraged by her father, one of the founders of the Philadelphia Orchestra.  A service to honor Nightingale, and nursing in general, was a perfect opportunity to sing of both.

With simple words and tune the hymn is easy for even a small groups or children  to sing accompanied by organ or piano.   The second verse could be used celebrate  any healing ministry especially nursing, perhaps especially  for events associated with  National Episcopal Health ministries  and parish nursing programs.

https://www.churchpublishing.org/products/voicesfound2

 The Leader's Guide to Voices Found







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64