Voices Found: The Martyrs' Voice VF 65 The Martyrs of Memphis, September 9

                                      


Voices Found # 65

Rejoice for martyrs strong,

the daughters of your love:

the nurses who tended your children 

bringing comfort from above.

Refrain:

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice,

rejoice, again I say rejoice,

rejoice again, I say rejoice.


Rejoice for Constance, nun,

a Memphis martyr brave,

and Sister Ruth and Sister Clare

in service life they gave.


Refrain:

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice,

rejoice, again I say rejoice,

rejoice again, I say rejoice.


Rejoice for charity!

Rejoice for servanthood!

Rejoice for saints who show us how to 

love and work for good.


Refrain:

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice,

rejoice, again I say rejoice,

rejoice again, I say rejoice.

Words: Lisa Neufeld Thomas

Music: Mayfair, Frances McCollin (1892-1960)

I wrote "Rejoice for Martyrs Strong," for a group of women  who wanted to celebrate the  Memphis Martyrs, nuns who remained with their patients despite knowing that they, too,  would  die of the illness.  Frances McCollin's hymn tune, which I found at the Free Library of Philadelphia,  seemed appropriate for my text.  McCollin had submitted the tune as a setting for the text, "Rejoice the Lord is King," for the Hymnal 1940. That committee rejected it because she was a woman.  The Voices Found Hymnal Committee is delighted to offer her music now in Voices Found: Women in the Church's song.


https://www.churchpublishing.org/products/voicesfound2

 The Leader's Guide to Voices Found

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices Found:A ballad for Mary VF #4

Voices Found: Kyrie, by Hildegard of Bingen, Wonder Love and Praise #841

Voices Found: Singing of Joseph, the Dreamer, VF 64